In order to maintain the scanned image quality and prevent dust accumulation, it is recommended that you clean the scanner (outer casing and feed rollers) approximately every 200 scans, or if vertical lines or stripes appear on the scanned image.
Use only the recommended or supplied tool to clean the scanner and feeder dock.
Cleaning The Scanner
Paper powder, dust, ink and toner from paper being scanned may make the inner ADF dirty, which leads to poor image quality or document-feeding errors. How often to clean your scanner depends on the type of paper and number of pages being scanned.
Perform the following procedures to clean the scanner surface and the ADF unit. Gently wipe locations described herein. Do not rub too hard!
● Before cleaning the scanner, turn off the scanner and disconnect the USB cable, and then wait a few minutes for the glass and/or the inner ADF to cool to ambient temperature.
● Wash your hands with soap and water after cleaning the scanner.
Have the following cleaning materials ready to clean the scanner:
● Soft, dry, lint-free cloth (or a cotton swab)
● Non-abrasive cleaner—Isopropyl alcohol (95%). DO NOT use water.
● or an Alcohol wipe such as the ones sold on Raven.com.
● Alternatively you can use glass cleaner or neutral detergent for windows cleaning to clean the scanner glass.
● However, DO NOT use either of them to clean the ADF feed roller or pad module.
● Use of other cleaning materials could damage your scanner!
Cleaning the Scanner Glass and Rollers
After using the scanner for a long period of time, the rollers and glass inside the scanner may become contaminated with ink, toner particles or paper dust. It is necessary to perform routine cleaning to ensure the optimum image quality and performance.
Tip! If documents do not feed easily, if several documents feed at the same time or if streaks appear on the scanned images, it is time to clean your scanner.
- Open the cover by holding the scanner with one thumb placed on the feeder and another thumb placed on the cover. Carefully and firmly press your thumb into the feeder and then raise the cover. This will cause the top of the scanner to release from the bottom of the scanner.
- Gently wipe the glass and feeding rollers on the scanner and the CIS cover with the cleaning cloth(included)
- Close the scanner by pushing the top of the scanner back down onto the bottom of the scanner.