Your scanner is designed to be maintenance-free. However, constant care and maintenance can keep your scanner working smoothly.
Cleaning The Scanner
Paper powder, dust, ink and toner from paper being scanned may make the inner ADF dirty, which leads to poor image quality or document-feeding errors. How often to clean your scanner depends on the type of paper and number of pages being scanned.
Perform the following procedures to clean the scanner surface and the ADF unit. Gently wipe locations described herein. Do not rub too hard!
● Before cleaning the scanner, turn off the scanner and disconnect the scanner’s power cable and Ethernet cable, and then wait a few minutes for the glass and/or the inner ADF to cool to ambient temperature.
● Wash your hands with soap and water after cleaning the scanner.
Have the following cleaning materials ready to clean the scanner:
● Soft, dry, lint-free cloth (or a cotton swab)
● Non-abrasive cleaner—Isopropyl alcohol (95%). DO NOT use water.
● Alternatively you can use glass cleaner or neutral detergent for windows cleaning to clean the scanner glass.
● However, DO NOT use either of them to clean the ADF feed roller or pad module.
● Use of other cleaning materials could damage your scanner!
Cleaning the ADF
After using the scanner for a long period of time, the rollers and glass inside the scanner may become contaminated with ink, toner particles or paper dust. It is necessary to perform routine cleaning to ensure the optimum image quality and performance.
Tip! If documents do not feed easily, if several documents feed at the same time or if streaks appear on the scanned images, it is time to clean your scanner.
- Open the panel unit by pulling the lever (see below)
- Clean Feed Roller from side to side and then rotate it. Repeat this until the entire surface is cleaned.
- Clean the Pad Module by wiping from top to bottom. Be careful not to damage the pick springs of the pad.
Cleaning the ADF Glass
Attention: Do not spray cleaner directly onto the scanner glass. Excess liquid residue may fog or damage the scanner.
- Wet a clean cloth with some isopropyl alcohol (95%).
- Wipe the glass and white area as illustrated below to rid of dust or dirt.
- Wait for cleaned areas to dry completely.
- Close the panel unit by pushing it back down until it snaps back into place.